Part 1 of 2


“Ben, why are you doing this to me?” I heard someone talking. In my drunken state, I can’t recognize the voice.

“You always come home drunk and you reek of  alcohol. You even dare drive your car in your drunken state”, the voice continued nagging at me. This time, I’m guessing it’s my girlfriend, Arianne. After all, we live together.

“Will you just shut up woman? Zip your mouth will you?” I told her while making an effort to go to the bedroom, tumbling along the way.

“How can I just shut up? It’s getting worse every night. Tonight ,you even dare to drive home your car in that drunken state of yours!” Arianne shouted, trying to get my fullest attention. All my attention is to my bed currently.

“Don’t you dare turn your back against me, Ben!” she shouted again. At that moment ,I turned around and gave her a tight slap. That certainly silenced her. She covered her red cheek with her hands and I can see that tears streaming down. Nothing new.

The next morning, I woke up feeling the hangover. This excruciating pain in my head. I heard noises coming from the kitchen. I did some slight stretching and then made my way to the kitchen. Expectedly, I saw Arianne brewing coffee and she poured for two cups. I knew yesterday’s episode was behind us then. That’s  Arianne. She forgives and forgets.

“What’s for breakfast?” I asked.

She just point to the coffee using her lips and walked away. That’s strange and unlike the normal Arianne. Only coffee for breakfast? That is like wearing only a pant to an important meeting. Looks like someone’s getting another tight slap today.

“I’m leaving, Ben,” she said suddenly. I almost choked on my coffee. This isn’t Arianne talking. Arianne won’t even think of leaving me.

“What’s got into you, early in the morning?” I asked, sounding confused.

“Ben, I’ve had enough. I called my mother last night and she said that maybe this relationship isn’t working out. I guess it’s true. I don’t feel the love I used to feel when I met you the first time, Ben. The old Ben. Not the one who comes home every night in a drunken state. I don’t want to be your punching bag too anymore,” Arianne explained.

My heart sank. I know I’ve hurt her mentally and physically. I never knew that the Arianne I knew would dare to do such things. I guessed she had finally found the courage to do so. To leave the man who doesn’t deserve her. To leave the man who never took note of her feelings. To leave the man who abused her trust. To leave me.

Right after that, I saw Arianne wiping the table, lay down my coffee then wiped her hand with the apron. She then took off the apron, hang it where it usually is, then picked up her luggage which I didn’t realized was there in the first place.

As she walked towards the door she said, “I wish you all the best Ben. There is a woman out there who will love you more whole-heartedly than I can afford to”.

Then there she was, walking out of my life. Just like that. The two years we spent together. Gone. Just like that. The shopping  spree memories  we experienced together. Gone. Just like that. The fights we had together. Gone. Just like that. Her, being in front of me. Gone. Just like that.

Like a tight slap to the face.

No comments: